Thursday, February 18, 2010

Taking the "Me, Myself and I" Out of Blog

Today I was asked to write an article for a magazine.  I immediately started thinking about all I could say, and then WHAMO, they said it needed to be in 3rd person.  Ouch!

Who knew a few short months of blogging could erase years of technical writing skills and decades of schooling?  (Okay, maybe not decades, but it felt like it...)

I had to stop and think a bit.  I was asked to write an article for which my opinion was not very important.  I have to interview others and see what they think.

You wouldn't think it would be hard, but it feels awkward after blogging.

So I started to wonder why it felt odd, and here is what I came up with, blogging is about me.  It is about what I think, what I feel and what I do.  It is my 15 seconds of fame, brought to you courtesy of my blog. Multiple days a week I put myself on display and tell the universe how I feel.

This article will be my chance to tell the world how other people feel.  What a grand idea.  So I have another great idea.  I want to tell your stories.  I want to talk about what you think and feel.  So write me.  Tell me what you are good at, what motivates you, what makes you read this blog.  You can contact me through my web site (fewer robots spamming me that way) and we can find something about you to display to the world.

I am learning a lot with the article I am writing.  It is good to stretch beyond your normal limits.  Maybe we can do this together.  So give me a buzz.  I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment