Monday, March 8, 2010

Finding Time to Hang Out

How often do you get to just hang out with your kids?  I am not talking about the time you spend doing homework or house chores.  I mean the time when you just do something together with no expectations of checking something off your list.

Do I see a slightly sheepish look on your face?  Don't worry, there is one on my face as well.  I am a goal oriented person, so having an activity accomplish "nothing" makes me twitch.

This weekend I had a lot to get done.  I was at a dead run a large portion of the day.  In the afternoon we went to the park and tried to teach the kids to play tennis.  I say try because it was a victory just to make contact with the ball, but we had a good time.

The funny thing was it was a relaxing time with the kids and there was no discord...unless you count the ball to the face episode...but we won't go there.  In spite of myself, I did accomplish something, I spent time with my kids and taught them to play.

My husband and I have talked about this and I think we are going to find a lot more ways to incorporate play into our lives.  Hanging out with our kids builds memories, it builds unity and it provides a moment of peace in a hectic world.

Did I say I am goal oriented?  Well what better goal could I have?

2 comments:

  1. It's easier when they're younger. My days are filled with doing things with the boys.
    But once they're older and their schedules kick in, I'll have to think of something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you can hang with your boys. Laundry always seems to get in the way for me. Darn that laundry.

    ReplyDelete