Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Stiches and Other Life Lessons

Today was fun.  We had time with the kids, activities galore and friends to boot.  There was a trip to the park and tons of other great fun.  To top everything off we ended in the urgent care center.  You know you had a good time when you end the day at urgent care!  Whoohoo!

You may wonder why it is we were there.  I could lie and tell you it was because we missed the awesome customer service or quick speed of care.  In fact we were repairing my daughter's finger after a run in with a quickly closed door.

Do you remember when your mom told you not to stand in the middle of traffic, not to touch a hot stove, not to lick a frozen flag pole, not to swat at bees, or not to slam doors?  She had a reason and that reason wasn't just to hear herself talk.

Tonight my kids as well as those of our dear friends learned that lesson.  I hope they take it to heart and never do anything their moms and dads tell them not to.  As I was a perfect angel who never disobeyed my parents I know it will serve them well.  (Those of you who know me can stop rolling around on the floor laughing now.  Thanks)

So the truth is my kids, along with kids all over the world, will ignore their parents fervent attempts to keep them out of danger.  They will test limits, push boundaries and likely get hurt a few times.  While it was really hard to see my little one in tears I know this lesson will stick with her a long time. There is no lesson learned as well as the one born out of pain, either emotional or physical.  (This is a good thing because the adults involved lost years of our lives when we heard the cry of pain and I don't know if we can handle it again.)

As an adult now I think back to the lessons I learned over the years and remember the experiences that went with them.  Some were not so great.  Failure and pain are not fun, no matter what "seemed like a good idea at the time."  I am a stronger person because of the lessons I learned and I wouldn't trade who I am now for who I was then.

As a mom I want my kids to walk through life unhurt.  I know this is not possible and I hope with all my might that my children make the best choices possible.  After that I hope they learn the lesson the first time.

So may we all learn our lessons the first time, may most of the lessons keep us away from urgent care and stitches and may we be better people for the experiences.  (And may my friends and family stop laughing from my previous angel comment.)

No comments:

Post a Comment