Wednesday, December 23, 2009

My Life on Traction

I had the opprotunity not so long ago to do physical therapy.  I had repeatedly injured my back and the doctor felt it was time to get help strengthening my muscles.  One of the best parts about therapy was the traction.  It was amazing.  They would hook me up to a contraption and just pull.  I laid there each time with a dumb grin on my face as I felt my back stretch and my spine lengthen.  It was heaven.  I remember having to adjust the mirrors in my car each time I left because I sat so much taller in the seat.

As luck would have it, this experience left me with a great metaphor for life.

Do you ever feel the pressure of the world on you like a great big lead weight?  I know sometimes I do.  I feel a little squished by my responsibilities and the expectations I have of myself.  I can feel myself getting smaller as the things I do don't meet my expectations and I see failure in my actions.  (This was your official pity party, brought to you today by the letter "P" and the number 6.  And yes, that was a Sesame Street reference.)

Every so often I think we need to put our perspective in traction.  It needs to be stretched and lengthened.  In the here and now things can look a little glum but over time things may look more rosy.  I remember looking like a Cheshire cat when I was being stretched, content and relaxed.  Most of us probably need the same experience with our outlook on life.

So take a minute and stretch your perspective.  Will the stuff of today last forever?  Will you even care in a week?  Will the crisis of this moment even be noteworthy tomorrow?  Just think about it and see if it is worth your time and effort.

When you are done you may just have a dumb grin on your face...and that is a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. i have had this done several times at my P.Ts and it felt great since i have degenerated disc disease plus have onr leg longer then the other annd everytime i felt great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,

    I am glad you agree. Who knew "the rack" could feel so great? I hope you are doing okay and continue to get stretched in the future. Enjoy your weekend.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete