Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Help! My Projects are Taking Over My Life...

Have you ever started an "easy" project just to discover it was a time sucking vortex?  Yeah, me too. 

I started this really fun, "finish in one evening" project in mid November.  You may have guessed by my first sentence that it isn't finished.

I have a motivation tool I use for unfinished projects.  I leave them and their supplies on the dinning room table so I have to stare at them daily.  It usually motivates me to finish the project so I don't have to look at it.  I am ashamed to say I have stashed this project on the washing machine when people come over and then put it right back on the table.

So today I realized said project would not make a very good Christmas gift if I didn't finish it until the new year.  So I spent hours, dare I say many hours, working on this lovely thing.  It is not finished.  I did however manage to shove a piece of card stock weight paper under my fingernail at just such an angle that I saw stars.

I bet you are jealous, aren't you?

Guess what I am doing tomorrow?  Yep, shoving more card stock under my fingernails.  Yippee!

So why is it we start projects we either don't know how to finish or don't have the time to finish?  Don't look away, I'm talking to you, yes you.  I know I am not the only one who does this.  I bite off more than I can chew, knowing I will sacrifice my sanity and sleep to get it finished when I just can't handle the undone project anymore.  I am starting to wonder if I should lock myself in a box labeled "Craft Free Zone."  I could put a nice pillow and fuzzy blanket in there with a good book.  Hmmm, that sounds very nice.

I realize I can't do that, so I am begging my blog reading audience for suggestions.  How do you pass up on the opprotunity to add things to your schedule?  Be it craft, activity, responsibility or other, how do you say no?

I will spend the day tomorrow finishing this dastardly project.  Hopefully I will get your suggestions before I do something rash and start a new project!  Help...

No comments:

Post a Comment