Monday, September 13, 2010

Motivational Monday #18 - Make the Time

How often have you said to yourself, "I wish I could: read more; spend more time with my friends; learn a new language; take a class; learn a new skill; travel to Europe; hike that mountain; or volunteer, but I just don't have the time?"

I find that time is my excuse for a lot of things. In fact I can use time as a good reason why my house is messy, why my projects are not finished and why I am exhausted.  It all comes down to not having enough time. (Don't you love a good catch all excuse??)

Truth be told, you have exactly the same number of hours in the day as every other person on the planet and you can choose what to do with each and every one of them. In all fairness, there are some things you must do, like eat and sleep.  There are other things you should do, like bathe.  After that, the world is your oyster.

I'm sure I just heard a protest.  "But I have to work," I just heard from the back row.  Yes, it is true, you may need to work in order to pay bills, but that is your choice.  You choose where you work, what industry you work in and you choose how much money you want to earn with the type of job you select.

After you have slept, eaten, bathed and taken care of your J-O-B, you have at least a few hours left to your discretion.  If you have kids, there is a good likelihood that "discretionary time" is packed with kid stuff, but don't despair, somewhere in there is time to accomplish the stuff of your dreams.

There have been countless women and men over the centuries who have done amazing things.  They have contributed to science and the arts.  They have broken records and set new expectations for greatness. They have given us stories of hope and adventure. They have inspired us.

The thing is, they had the exact same number of hours in the day as you and I do.  So I think it comes down to use of time.  How do you spend yours?

Time is a lot like currency in that you spend it and it is gone.  We are taught to budget money, but few of us are taught to budget time.

I have heard that you spend your time where your priorities are.  I guess that means you need to look at your priorities if you want to find time to accomplish greatness.

So wake up earlier, go to bed later, multitask, eliminate fluff, streamline necessities, and carve out time to fulfill your dreams.  The time is there, you just need to find it.  Go on, you can do it.  I will meet you at the top of the mountain in Europe while speaking another language and reading a book while spending time with my friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment