Monday, September 26, 2011

Motivational Monday #57 - Making Old New Again

This morning was like so many Monday mornings.  I rolled out of bed and began the routine of getting kids out the door and on the bus.  And like so many other mornings my children had last minute "emergencies" that they "forgot" to deal with over the weekend.  Ahhh, the joys of Monday mornings!

Today's emergency revolved around the need for a clipboard.  I know this seems like a crazy emergency, and it was, but any way you slice it, my special needs child needed a clipboard and mommy had to deliver.

So what did I do?  I did what any self respecting mom would do, I climbed through the mess in the garage, and dug through dusty boxes to find a clipboard I had seen the last time I cleaned out the garage.  The good news is that I didn't come out covered in dirt...and I had a clipboard!

The clipboard I found was in a box filled with my father's odds and ends.  How I got the box isn't quite clear, but inside was a perfectly sized clipboard just waiting to be used.  To make it even cooler, my dad's name was printed in black plastic label tape and adhered to the metal clip.

As I handed this well used, but industrial strength clipboard to my son, I pointed out the name and asked him if he knew who that was.  Then I reminded him that he got part of his name from grandpa, and that this was now his clipboard.  His face lit up and off he went to school with his grandfather's clipboard clutched under his arm.

So what was only recently a dusty old clipboard taking up space in the garage is now a beloved treasure in the hands of a child.  It didn't take much to make an old thing new again.

How many old things do we have in our lives?  How many metaphorical boxes of odds and ends do we have stored away?  Do we take the chance to dust them off and bring them new life?  I would suggest we take the time to do just that.

I'm not sure if a clipboard can be considered part of the circle of life, but today an old clipboard was made new, and the past was linked with the future. Not too bad for a Monday morning...eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment