Monday, April 18, 2011

Motivational Monday #41 - 5 Steps To Get Your Calendar to Work Better For You

Today I realized I had scheduled too many things to fit in the same time slot. I hate it when that happens.

The sad part is I have no excuse for it either. I have a calendar I use all the time, and there are copies of it on my phone and ipad.  You would think with my life following me around in digital form everywhere I go that I would not double schedule myself...but alas, I do.

So what should I do about it?  Well, short of becoming a hermit and moving to outer Mongolia, I will always have things I need to do and there will always be something on my calendar.  After thinking about it, here are a few suggestions to keep this from happening to you.
  1. Put all recurring appointments on your calendar first.  If you have a standing meeting or activity, put it on your calendar as far out as possible.
  2. Include travel time in the schedule.  If you have appointments that require travel, put that on the calendar as well.  It is never fun when you have back to back appointments all the way across town with no travel time factored in. 
  3. Select days for errands.  In the name of organization and gas conservation, group your errands together, hopefully on a day you have set aside for that very purpose.
  4. Color code your activities.  Knowing at a glance that the activity is work, kid, school or entertainment related can help you get a feel for your day. This is especially important when keeping a family calendar.
  5. Put contact info with the appointment. If you are going somewhere new, add the address and/or phone number next to the entry in your calendar.  This will keep you from having to hunt down an old email or post it note when it is time go to the activity.
Using your calendar wisely can improve your time management and help you get through the day with much less stress. While there are as many calendar methods as there are types of calendars, it is important to find one that works for you.

Now I am off to fix my scheduling goof.  Oh well, who wanted to go to the dentist anyway? sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment