Monday, April 11, 2011

Motivational Monday #40 - Drinking Water Out of a Fire Hydrant

Some days just get crazy.  Things fly at you so fast that you feel overwhelmed and discombobulated. I think the term "drinking water out of a fire hydrant" comes to mind.

In the midst of this craziness is usually when we are expected to be the most "with it."  I find it funny, but when all heck is breaking loose, someone will inevitably look at me and say, "So...what do we do?"

I'm not sure when I became the authority on every subject, and if you have met me, you will know I can panic just like everyone else, but it still happens. Someone will expect me to have the answers.  Depending on how crazy the day is, they may just expect to know what is for dinner, but that may be more information than I have to give.

So how do we manage to respond when things are coming at us hard and fast?  How do we stay calm when things are moving and changing all around us?  How do we function in a crisis?

In the simplest terms, we don't.  We rely on what we already know and what we have already decided.  In the midst of the storm is not the time to invent an umbrella.

I guess this is a long winded way of me telling you to come up with a plan.  It doesn't have to be formal written plan every time, but you need to think things through.  A simple example is having a backup plan for a quick dinner on the nights everything is too crazy to cook a full meal. A complex example is having an evacuation plan for your family.

When drinking water out of a fire hydrant, the easiest way to stop the flow of water is to step out of the way.  If you have a plan already in place it is a lot easier to do that. So take a moment and do some planning.  It will make you feel better and you will get a little less soaked!

No comments:

Post a Comment