Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Meal Plans

I have resisted the idea of meal plans for many years.  It felt like I organized so many parts of my life that my meals was just overdoing it a bit.  Then I remembered that I like to eat.

Have you ever noticed that you eat better when you have an idea of what is for dinner?  How many times have you looked at the clock, let out a small (and hopefully tame) expletive when you realized you had a house full of hungry people and no idea what anyone was going to eat? (Can you say - last night? Yep.)

I think that in the case of meals, a little planning can go a long way.  Having the ingredients on hand makes food prep a lot less stressful.  It also means you are more likely to shop for what you need and less likely to fill the cart with the "well that looks good" favorites. (Read: Junk)

On a preparation note, planning meals gives you a really good idea of how much food, and the types of food your family can eat in a week. Shopping when there are sales and stocking up on staple foods is a great way to expand your buying power.  For example, I always try and have spaghetti fixings in my house, so I wait for sales on the sauce my family likes.  I keep meat in the freezer and noodles in the pantry.  I know it will be a "please everyone" meal, and that is a good thing. 

I guess my point in all of this is simple.  Start to plan your meals in advance.  You will save money on groceries, you will have a plan when it comes to meal time, and you will be less stressed in the process. Mmmm, that combination sounds delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment