Friday, April 29, 2011

Frantic Friday #19 - Royal Weddings

I don't have a lot to say on the subject, but I do have one thought...

Today we watched, either live or via recording, the wedding of a prince and a new princess.  This event overshadowed war, death, starvation, nuclear radiation, natural disasters and a myriad of other ills in this world.

Some people are angry that we have changed our focus.  They are angry it cost so much and took tax dollars to fund.  They are frustrated soldiers came home from foreign lands to stand at attention along the procession path. They are frustrated with an antiquated monarchy.  I think they are just frustrated in general.

While I have not been a royal watcher, and I knew nothing more than the date of the wedding, I think I know why the world is enchanted.  It is not a complex reason, but valid non the less.

As a human race, we prefer hope and love over war and disaster. Yep, that's it.  I don't think it is anything more profound than that.  While some may dream of being royalty themselves, what is universal is the excitement we feel when experiencing love.  Watching people get married and start a new life is a time honored tradition.  When we see young people in love it is exciting.

I am sure there are plenty of arguments about political positioning, royal excess, the legitimacy of the current monarchy and all sorts of other issues, however today was about watching a public ceremony celebrating a new marriage and new hope.

Once again, given the choice, as a human race, we pick hope and love over war and death.  There is plenty of the latter to keep the news full for years. After we oooh and ahhhh for a few more hours, we will go back to reality, and the media will change its focus again.

For now, however, we can dream, we can enjoy, and we can celebrate. Not a bad thing I must say.

No comments:

Post a Comment