Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Cookie for Breakfast

Every so often it is important to slow down and see life in the simple ways our children do.

We have had a stressful week.  The morning after one particularly hard day I decided to stay in bed and just relax while my daughter entertained herself in her room.

I noticed a sound coming from the kitchen, but as there was no screaming or crashing I didn't think much about it.  A few minutes later a smiling face appeared in my doorway.  In her hands was a pink plastic plate.  She proudly announced, "Mom, I brought you breakfast in bed!"  I looked at the plate and there sat a single chocolate chip cookie.  She disappeared and reappeared with a glass of water.

I almost cried.  Baring having a nasty illness I don't think anyone has every brought me breakfast in bed before, especially for no particular reason.  It was sweet, it was simple, and it was her showing me how much she cares.

Did I mention I almost cried?

Anyway, our week is still stressful, but for one moment I was blissfully happy and my daughter was utterly delighted I loved her offering.  I can't say the crumbs in bed have been comfy...but I wouldn't have it any other way.  That was the best cookie I have ever eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment