Monday, October 18, 2010

Motivational Monday #21 - Experiment - Even if Snot is What You Get

Today I tried to do something new.  It did not go well, but before I get into the gory details, let me tell you I have learned a lot about what NOT to do.

If you may remember, I posted a lengthy celebration blog about when I finally learned how to make the perfect cinnamon rolls.  Please don't be disappointed that I don't include a recipe, it was more a journey about making good things when you substitute out the bad and put in the good.

Lately my family has found out we need to eliminate gluten/casein/eggs/soy from our diet.  I am sure a few of you just gasped as you realized I will be eating rice and beans for the rest of my life.

Partly because I am stubborn, and partly because I am hungry, tonight I attempted zucchini bread without wheat flour or eggs.  I wish I could tell you it was amazing, but it turned out smelling wonderful and being a perfect replica of zucchini snot.  Yep, snot.  Apparently I have not mastered the knack of baking with xanthan gum yet.

So I was a little disappointed, and by a little, I mean my kids cried and my husband and I laughed our backsides off about the disaster.  My kitchen is trashed and I have 2 perfect loaves of zucchini flavored snot.  I wonder if this is how the "Every Flavor Beans" in Harry Potter were imagined by the author.

I have two options at this point (of course this is after the obvious, get rid of the snot loaves step).  I can either declare we will never eat zucchini bread again, or get this right.  I may have substituted a few too many things out of the recipe.  I may have overdone it with the xanthan gum, and I may have, just maybe, had a few too many expectations of the result.

So now I will try again.  I will attempt a different recipe with a few less substitutions.  I will bake when the kids are not around to smell the possibilities, when I may have once again created snot. I will find success.  I will learn how to make bread.  I will add variety to my diet, and I will learn a new skill.

Because if I don't, you will see a lot of rice and beans at my house....sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment