Friday, June 25, 2010

Drama, Drama Everywhere and not a Friend in Sight

If you were forced to read the "Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner" in school you will recognize my title as reference to his "water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink" statement.  I loved this line as it referred to sitting in a boat on the ocean, surrounded by water, but thirsty and unable to drink anything.

Sometimes I realize I am sitting in the midst of craziness.  I look around and as far as I can see there are crazy people, crazy ideas and crazy expectations.  I am surrounded.  At the same time I have a craving for companionship and personal interaction.  The irony is that I can't get any, well at least I can't get any that will satisfy me.  It is the same as with the ancient mariner, people everywhere but no one to be my friend.

Wow! I just reread that last line and I sound so pathetic.  I may be pathetic, but the sentiment is still true.  I think we may find ourselves surrounded many times in our lives.  Something close to what we want is everywhere, but it does not fill our needs.

I am sure all of my friends are reading this and scratching their heads.  Before you become worried, I am not worried that you are not my friend.  I am also not concerned that you are crazy.  I have just noticed lately that I meet a lot of people.  I interact with different organizations and diverse communities.  Most of this interaction gives me the opprotunity to develop new friends, new colleagues and new opportunities.  Every so often the politics and craziness of each organization strikes me anew.  I realize I am surrounded by people, but not friends.


So how often are you surrounded by something close to what you want, but not exactly it?  Do you compromise, or wait it out?  The poor ancient mariner spent a long time waiting for fresh water.  Do you have what it takes to wait for what you need, or do you settle for what you have?

For me, the jury is still out.  Until I decide I will take my place next to the ancient mariner and wait it out...thirsty.

No comments:

Post a Comment