Friday, May 14, 2010

Desire To Be Good - It Is What It Is

Most of us want to be good...well at least most of the time.  We want to be nice and kind and do the right thing.  I have not met many people who wake up in the morning convinced they are going to do horrible things that day.

With that said, we all do horrible things.  Some of those things are accidents, some of them are mis-communications and some of them are just error.  We hurt people, we blow opportunities and we anger people we care about.

Oops.

When this happens it can be hard to get back on track.  Feelings of self doubt can be overwhelming.  They can even be debilitating. Wondering how others will see us and how awkward our interactions will be can keep us from reengaging in our lives.

As bad as that can be, the times we blow it and let ourselves down can be the worst.  Disappointing myself is the worst.  I can't justify it, explain it or hide from it.  I know what I know and it can be haunting.

So how do we go from a desire to be good to the realization we screwed up? More importantly, how do we get back on track and move on?

I am not a therapist but I know there are many reasons we do dumb things and even more reasons why we hold on to dumb things.  One of the phrases I tell myself is this: "It is what it is...nothing more, nothing less." It may seem like the end of the world, but it really isn't.

At the end of the day, I tired to be good.  I tried to be kind, I tried to be understanding.  If I missed the mark I will try again tomorrow.  It is what it is...my best effort.  Today that was enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment