Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Controlling Chaos - 3 Steps to Equip You for a Crisis

(This is part 1 of a 4 part series.)

I have never had a scheduled crisis. Nope, never. Every crisis I ever faced has come right out of the blue and bit me on the hind end. Unfortunate, but true. So what do you do with such a hard to predict, inconvenient and life disrupting event? You plan for it.

Now before you get worried that I live in a gloom and doom world, I don't.  I am however a bit realistic when it comes to stuff like this. Emergencies happen, so get organized and be prepared. A little advance work and you can take the frantic scramble out of a crisis.

Step 1 - Have a Plan
Yep, a plan can make all the difference. Depending on the crisis, the plan could be as simple as who to call first, or where to drop off the kids. Plans can also be complex, for example, an evacuation plan. Take the time to come up with a plan, and write it down for others.

Step 2 - Imagine You're Not There
I can already see the look on your face. "If I'm not there, is it my crisis?" If you are in a car accident and on the way to the hospital you are not in charge of crisis management.  Who is? Make your plan work for all members of the family.  Make sure they know the plan and what to do.

Step 3 - Document Everything
Crisis management has a lot to do with paperwork.  Make sure every member of the family knows where your plans are written down. They also need to know where the insurance papers are, where the medical records are kept and how to access financial resources.

Once you have gone through this activity you and your family will be much better equiped to handle a crisis. So today's question is this: Are you ready to handle a crisis?

No comments:

Post a Comment