Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Things I Learned at Scout Camp

This week I have had the *cough* enjoyable opportunity to attend Cub Scout Camp.  Where I live, Cub Scout Camp is outside in the intense heat and dust, and does not wrap up until almost 10 pm each night.  Can we say good times? (Was that enough whining for you?)

Okay, it really wasn't all that bad, and the boys all had a great time.  As soon as I recover from the pulled muscles, the sore feet and the dehydration, I am sure I will have fond memories.

As much as I was not looking forward to this adventure, I have to admit, there are a few lessons I have learned.  Here they are, in no particular order:
  1. Have a buddy.  I don't think many people really want to go through life alone, but maintaining a relationship strong enough to keep a buddy can be hard.  Watching the boys these last few days, I can see how buddy responsibilities can become overwhelming.  It isn't enough to stay with your buddy, you also have to help your buddy, take care of your buddy, and support your buddy. This gets harder as the day wears on, you find out your buddy walks slower that you do, and that your buddy is not as 'cool' as some of the other buddies.  Still, you need a buddy.
  2. Know where the restrooms are. You would think this would be obvious, but it isn't really.  In life it is always a good idea to know where your resources are, but sometimes we get so caught up doing the fun things, like launching water balloons or water rockets, that we forget to look around and find the things we need.  When emergencies come, and they always do, knowing where to go is very important.
  3. Pack enough food and water.  Once again, you would think this would be really obvious, but when there is fun to be had, it is easy to forget the necessities.  When you are hungry and thirsty is not the time to realize you have nothing with you.  When you are taking about health and survival, you really can't depend on someone else having enough to share.  A little preparation can go a long way.
  4. Know your limits.  In the last few days I have watched the boys do crazy things.  Some of them have been a little less intelligent than others.  I have seen kids try and swim farther than they know how, run faster than they are able, and eat more than they can hold.  I promise it wasn't always pretty.  While stretching yourself is a great way to learn new things and grow, over stretching can leave you injured, scared and a little hesitant to try again.  Knowing when it is time to stop and get help is a talent learned over time.  If you don't know your current limits, it is hard to set goals for the future.
  5. Get enough sleep.  Coming home from this adventure each night I have realized my body needs more time to recover than it did when I was younger.  I am grouchier than I should be and I definitely know I am out of shape.  When you have to get back up and do it all over again, it is important to let your body recover each day.  Far too many of us push ourselves beyond our limits without letting ourselves recover.  The stress of everyday life can be just as physically taxing as practicing archery, hiking rocky hills, and participating in world class water balloon fights.  Bodies and minds needs rest, and if we don't give it to them we will not have as much fun the next time.
Okay, I think those are the highlights from my week.  Anyone out there have any other pearls of wisdom they would like to add to the list?

    1 comment:

    1. Hi Laura!
      I awarded you the Stylish Blogger Award. Please come on by my blog at www.karenshealthylifestyle.blogspot.com to pick it up!

      ReplyDelete