Friday, March 25, 2011

Frantic Friday #15 - 5 Steps to Organize Life

Some days things just seem to fall apart faster than you can put them back together. Schedules change, commitments shift, and expectations increase.  On days like those I tend to hide under my covers and beg for a do over.

To bad do overs don't happen very often!

Instead of hiding, here are a few simple tips that can help you survive the shifting mosaic we call life.
  1. Look at your calendar and see where you are already committed.  Basic laws of physics tell us we can't be in two places at the same time. Identify where you have to be before you fit in where you would like to be.
  2. Clearly identify the outside expectations you are aware of. For example, "I am responsible for bringing cupcakes to the school party an noon."
  3. Clearly identify personal expectations.  For example, "I will get my hair cut before we leave on vacation Friday." (Did you notice my wishful thinking there?  Maybe if I go get a haircut I can convince the universe to send me on vacation too...)
  4. Schedule goals.  As we all know, goals are just dreams until they are on the schedule.  Make sure you are identifying time to complete goals, or the endless commitments you handle each week will turn into mindless monotony.  Progress is a good thing.
  5. Develop an intimate knowledge of the word NO.  Go ahead, say it with me, "I'm sorry.  I can't help you with the school fundraiser, I have previous commitments." Or better yet, "I appreciate all of the hard work you are putting into this project. I wish my schedule would allow me to help, but I'm learning not to overextend myself."
By using these simple, but effective tools, you can make the best use of your time, fulfill commitments, and decline activities which don't meet your goals or expectations. We all have craziness descend into our lives every now and then.   It is up to us to enforce clear boundaries and tackle our schedules with clear intent.

No comments:

Post a Comment