Friday, March 11, 2011

Frantic Friday #13 - Spring Break

Spring Break season is upon us, and where I live, this means a very hot week of having kids at home with nothing to do.  The pool is not yet warm, the zoo is too hot, and the local museums are overrun with daycare related field trips.

What is a parent to do?

I suggest hiding, maybe under a rock, or in a bag. Even better, hide in the laundry.  Your kids will never look for you there!

If hiding isn't a possibility, here are a few tips to help you on the way.
  1. Enjoy the non school day calm.  For at least the first few minutes of every day, you have less stress, as you are not trying to get kids out the door to school. Enjoy the change.  You may even want to splurge and shut off the alarms.
  2. Teach a new skill to the kids.  This is a great time to teach them how to garden, or how to cook.  Family bonding time is a lot better when there is ample time to spend.  Knowing you have to fit "bonding" in between the bus and karate lessons really can take the joy out of it.
  3. Catch up with friends.  Now is a good time to see old friends and play. Spend time with people you don't see often.
  4. Go to the library.  Libraries are a good place to sit and enjoy.  I have to admit that during the school year library visits are more of a tactical strike.  I get in, I get out.  I have even been known to put books on hold so they are waiting for me on one shelf where I can grab and go. My kids love to read books, so the library is a great hangout.
  5. Take pictures.  I realized last week that I have been slowing down on the picture taking opprotunities.  People may wonder if we all fell off the planet, if measured by the lack of digital proof we existed. I think it is high time I documented our existence.
So go forth and enjoy Spring Break.  It may be cold where you are, or you may not be able to get away.  Take the opprotunity to enjoy the break in routine. Enjoy your family. And don't worry, it will all be over in a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment