Monday, January 10, 2011

Motivational Monday #31 - Finish the Old Before Starting the New

Last week was a crazy whirlwind where I finished a project I started a year ago.  Yes, you heard that correctly, one year ago. I hate it when I leave things undone, but if I want to be honest, that happens a lot more than it should.

When my mother-in-law was here last Christmas we started making roman shades for my huge bathroom windows.  After being in the house seven years, we thought it was time to cover those suckers up with something stylish. Alas, when she went home the project got shelved, quite literally.  In the back of my mind I promised I would work on them before she got back, but I didn't.

After the fun of this year's festivities died down, I dug out the fabric and we started sewing again. It took us 3 days to machine sew, one day to gather motivation to continue, one day to hand sew the final details, and one afternoon to hang perfectly.

It is now finished.

Here is what I learned...(and this is profound, so get ready for it,) I am glad it is done!  I am not sure if I like the finished product as much as I just like that it is finished.  There is something about it hanging up on the wall and no longer sitting in my craft room that brings an almost giddy delight to my soul. I am a super fan of the finished part of this project.

I think many of us have the started projects of the past looming around in our current lives.  For me, and I don't know about you, I feel the weight of responsibility pulling me down...sucking energy and optimism right out of me.

So start this year off right.  Identify those half done projects and get them finished.  That means you fix the leaky faucet.  You empty out the closet to find your missing shoe.  You finish the quilt you started.  You read the half finished book that is gathering dust on your night table.

Use this year to finish what you started.  As you complete these long ago forgotten tasks you will feel a sense of pride, a sense of accomplishment, and a sense of closure.  And I promise closure is a good thing!

Now onto the curtains in the living room. sigh

No comments:

Post a Comment