Friday, January 14, 2011

Frantic Friday #10 - Identifying Priorities

Priorities are a crazy thing.  We think we know what they are...but do we really?

I was told once that we can identify our priorities by looking at how we use our time.  Things that are really priorities get our time, while things that are not, don't.

If this rule holds true, my priorities include in order from most to least:
  1. Sleep
  2. Food (Preparation, Consumption and Cleaning)
  3. Kid's Homework and Activites
  4. The Computer
  5. Religion
  6. Housework
  7. Doctor Visits
  8. Relationships
  9. Projects (Personal and Around the House)
  10. Reading
I am may not be the brightest bulb in the box, but I don't remember this list being anywhere close to my lifelong goals when I was younger. What happened to the list I imagined? I think that list went something like:
  1. Travel
  2. Sleep
  3. Relationships
  4. Fabulous High Paying Job
  5. Talent Development
  6. Reading
  7. Spa Time
  8. Writing my Novel
  9. Sleep (Did I mention I really like sleep?)
  10. Religion
Is it okay to say I used to be a selfish, inexperienced doofus?  That second list almost makes me blush.

What does your time usage say about your priorities? Do you have things you wish were on the list but aren't?  How about things on the list you wish you could get rid of?

As this new year starts and we watch ourselves running around, spending our time frantically trying to get everything done, maybe it is time to be aware of our "in practice" priorities. You can't change what you don't acknowledge.

So what are your priorities?

No comments:

Post a Comment