Friday, May 27, 2011

Frantic Friday #23 - Mom...I'm Bored!

It is inevitable, like death and taxes, all parents will hear at least one rendition of, "I'm Bored!" This lovely phrase will usually be accompanied by a whiny voice and a dramatic plop on the couch.  If your child is really gearing up for an Oscar nomination, then it will be followed by a long list of reasons that life isn't fair and why all of their friends have better activities.  You may also be told that because you as the parent are the most boring person in the universe, your child is doomed to have the worst summer ever...and oh by the way, can I have a friend sleep over?

I wish I could say I am the best summer event coordinator ever, but I'm not. When I was a kid I spent my mornings picking blackberries, my afternoons reading books, and my evenings watching fireflies. I spent time with my parents working in the garden, went camping and boating, and even threw in a few picnics for good measure.  It wasn't fast paced, but it was perfect.

Now I live in the land of scorching hot, without a blackberry bush to be found. Outside activities are relegated to past midnight when it cools down, and fireflies spontaneously combust...if they are silly enough to venture anywhere near here.

So what is a parent to do? How does one keep the kids entertained (as they seem completely unable to do so on their own) and maintain their sanity? Shipping them out of state is not an option, although the temptation may be overwhelming by the time we make it through this summer.

Have you noticed this is not a blog where I offer advice?  This is a shameless begging blog, the kind where I throw myself on the mercy of strangers and hope that some other parent has figured out the magical answer to "I'm bored."  So please, comment below and let me know what you think.  Today is the first day of summer vacation, and I am already digging through the junk drawer looking for my earplugs. AHHHH! Save me!

1 comment:

  1. I feel for you, I really do. I'm in the same boat. While I'm excited that my girls are home so we don't have to stick to such a tight routine all the time, the arguing has already begun. Grrrr....

    Are you in AZ? I am, and it really is hard to keep the kids occupied during the day. I'm almost thinking switching to evening wake times would be perfect. Hmmm... the only thing we need to do then is figure out how to get my husband's work done. I'm not too sure his customers would like the lawnmower being run at 2 AM.

    If you come up with any great ideas, let me know! Until then, I'm sending you positive thoughts for the summer.

    ReplyDelete