Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Holding My Breath

This is the time of year I find myself holding my breath. The holidays are almost done, and in a few short days everything will be packed back up and put away.  My house will be clean, my routine will be restored, and my life will return to normal.

As a kid my least favorite day of the year was December 26.  It was just so depressing.  There was an entire year until I could celebrate Christmas again.  Now as an adult, I find the day to be inviting and relaxing.  I look forward to the calm after the storm.

You may wonder what this has to do with my main topic, (which I know I sometimes forget...), organization.  For me, the holidays are an overload of organization.  I start the planning in October, I start the shopping in November, and then I decorate and finish up in December.  That is a lot of organization for one event on one day.

I am sure I could find a way to simplify, in fact I should simplify, but my brain will always go through the exercise of thinking it through, planning it out and implementing a strategy.  I know myself well enough to know it will always be the same.

This year I am committed to enjoying things no matter how they turn out. (Did I mention I am making BBQ for X-mas dinner this year?) After it is all over I will take a deep breath and get back to my regularly scheduled programming.  I may even take a week off from organizing...who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment